How can you, the local small business owner, use FaceBook’s “places” in your marketing mix? (when I say “mix” that means everything from how you answer the phones to how much you spend on a monthly basis for attracting new customers & of course keeping the oldie but goodies).
PLUG-PLUG: I SELL FOR CITADEL & WOULD LOVE TO HELP YOU DO THIS!
Here is how I would use FaceBook Places:
(of course I would have the following IN PLACE already…)
1. Great reputation already WITH OUT FaceBook
2. A scheduled and impromptu editorial & promotional calendar on what is communicated “out”
3. Policy & procedures on how to deal with negative nilly’s (be kind & treat others the way you want to be treated)
With the above…
1. Have a tool that allows you to see INSTANTLY when someone “checks in” with Places.
2. Do one of the following with-in MINUTES of #1-
a. respond to the person with a “Thank you! Be sure to sign up for our eNewsletter at the front desk with Alice – we give away all kinds of good stuff every month! If you tell your server ‘I love Kermit the Frog’, appetizers are on us! Cheers!”
b. go find that person, thank them, bring them a drink, a flower, a $5 off coupon, a hug…..do something! What kind of appreciation would YOU want from a place that you love?
Hind site is 20/20. Wouldn’t you LOVE to be that guy who discovered how to sell on the internet FIRST? This is that opportunity. FaceBook (along with the many other location base services) are figuring out how to tell you who your customer is, where they are & when they are ready to buy. Information is power – you are the superhero!
ESP with a tad bit of opt in voyeurism at its finest.
This post was inspired by an eMarketer interview with Emily White, Senior Director of Local at FaceBook.