I am thrilled to be speaking/teaching the basics of Social Media to the NetWorks! group today at the Sockeye Grill.
This is a value add for TSheets, so I am going to tell you how to get started with Social Media & the time it takes for one week. (or I have plenty of friends that will charge you $100+/hour to get you going).
As I wrote last week, YOU are your marketing budget – this will be the best use of your time/money than any bus stop ad you will get.
Phase One: Getting “it”
- Google Reader. Find your favorite people you love to read & be diligent in reading at least every other day. Total time: 45 minutes
- who are the most influential in your field? get that feed
- what publications do you most admire? get that feed
- what are some fun things you are interested in? Google it &….get that feed
- Post relevant comments on others blogs. Big NoNo: “That was a great article, Bob-thanks!” (boring! & it does nothing for you & your future blog) 😉 – Total time: 30 minutes
- LinkedIn. Yes, it is a big, fat Rolodex. Ummm, why wouldn’t you want to be part of THE BIGGEST Rolodex in the world. Remember, it’s not what you know, but who you know.
- Answers. Answer at least three questions a week. Could be all in one day – Total time: 20 minutes
- Ask a Question.
- Now stop. Evaluate. Is this for you? do you see the value of communicating online now? Investment for one week so far: 95 Minutes
Phase Two: Stepping in “it”
- Evaluate your commitment time. Can you spend an additional 60 minutes a week blogging? Can you see yourself contributing to the lives of others? If not, that is OK! Keep active in phase One & you will see the reward.
- What do you have to say? Can you contribute to your readers in a way that is not pitchy? Can you write with out selling? What is YOUR value ad?
- fyi: my value ad to TSheets is that I represent the company when I go and speak to others about SM.
- WordPress. Best blogging tool out there. Huge possibilities to customize…for free.
Phase Three: Participating with “it”
- Tagging. There is a place for you to tag with those that are like you – promise. Digg, Delicious. Diggo, Stumble Upon, Skirt…etc etc etc
- See what others are reading.
- Find new content to blog on
- Twitter. Yes, this can be a HUGE time suck. But it can also get you a job, get a new client, and find new friends. Ask yourself this – how many 1:1 conversations do I have on a daily basis that can be observed by MANY. One of those “many” might see something relevant in the fact that you just planted your organic garden & can’t wait for beet stew. Will that fellow beet stew lover need your product? Meet for coffee (or webinar) and find out!
Weekly time Invested? Right about two and a half hours. What is your hourly rate? What would this new marketing venture cost you a week? A month?
There is a ton to be said for having the right message, voice & touch out there. This is where you want to invest your time in a coach, a marketing message or an industry expert.
If all you want to do is sell & pitch on any of these forums, please spend the $100+/hour and help someone guide you to see “it”. Or not. Marketing changes every 100 years, now is the time to start.
I could go on & on & on….but this is what a Social Media “Expert” would help you set up in a few hours. I consider myself an enabler, not an expert – so I dish out for a latte. 🙂